fbpx

Family of teen who caused infant daughter’s death ‘broken’ by tragedy

The family of Verphy Kudi said little Asiah’s death has left them ‘broken’ (Picture: Facebook)

The family of a woman who admitted causing the death of her infant daughter say the tragedy has left them ‘broken’.

Verphy Kudi left 20-month-old Asiah alone in Brighton for six days with no food or water while she went partying in London, Coventry and Solihull to celebrate turning 18 in December 2019.

Kudi, now 19, pleaded guilty to manslaughter at Lewes Crown Court yesterday.

Following the hearing, her dad Muba Kudi said his ‘heart is so broken’ by the death of his granddaughter.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, he said: ‘My heart is so broken. My daughter was missing. She had been missing since the age of 14.’

Her sister Aisha Batrane added: ‘This whole situation has completely broken my family. It might be entertainment for the rest of the world but it’s totally shattered us.’

She told MailOnline the family is ‘heartbroken and angry at how Verphy behaved’, adding that she had been estranged from them ‘for quite a long time’ and they had minimal contact with her.

Aisha went on to say they have no idea what Kudi was doing for the six days she spent away from her young daughter and that the family now wants to be left alone to grieve.

Verphy Kudi and baby Asiah

Verphy Kudi left Asiah alone for six days in the flat

Asiah Kudi died at an address in the East Sussex city in December 2019. She was taken to Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital but was confirmed dead on arrival.

A post-mortem examination and forensic tests found that her death was the result of neglect.

Kud had been due to stand trial later this year but formally entered a guilty plea to a charge of manslaughter on Friday.

Judge Christine Laing QC told her: ‘You have heard that before I get to sentence you the defence want to get a report on your behalf and a doctor will no doubt make arrangements to see you and interview you over the next few weeks.’

She ordered that all social services records relating to the case be disclosed to the defence ahead of sentencing.

The case was adjourned to a provisional sentencing date of May 28, but Kudi was warned this may be delayed.

Asiah died as a result of neglect, a postmortem found

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Wolstenholme, said: ‘This was a particularly distressing case for my team and me to investigate, and has caused great sorrow amongst Verphy’s family and the many agencies that have supported Verphy and Asiah.

‘We note the guilty plea entered in this case, and continue to prepare for Verphy’s sentencing in May.’

A spokesperson for Brighton & Hove Safeguarding Children Partnership said: ‘We are deeply saddened by the tragic death of Asiah.

‘In our safeguarding role, we are currently working with our partners to look into what happened and are conducting a Child Safeguarding Practice Review.’

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Brighton and Hove City Council said: ‘We have been deeply saddened by this tragedy.

‘The case is currently the subject of criminal proceedings, and the city’s Safeguarding Children Partnership is also conducting a review of the circumstances into the tragic death of this young child.

‘We have fully supported the police investigation, and are committed to working with the partnership in its review and taking learning from this.

‘Asiah was not on a child protection plan and was not involved with social work services when she died.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.